Monday, March 16, 2009

Summer at Sea

Last spring, during one of our creative girl nights, Joey and Lily were discussing their plans to apply to The West 18th Street Fashion Show. I was immediately jealous, wishing that I could design for the show. As we continued to talk, ideas kept popping into my head. I kept imagining what I would do if I were a designer in the show. I had plenty of ideas, some basic sewing skills and a lot of determination so I thought, "Why can't I do it?" I finally decided to face my fears and to give it my best. I used the fashion show as a chance to test my creativity, my skills and my drive to be a fashion designer. I partnered with Andrea and together we designed and constructed our line.

Andrea and I drew upon sea creatures, fish scales and Greek Sirens as inspiration for the "Summer at Sea" theme. We wanted our models to look sexy, feminine and polished and based on the positive feedback we received, I think we achieved our objective. Our models looked beautiful!


The West 18th Street Fashion Show was one of the most important experiences of my life. It was my chance to prove to myself that I had the motivation and talent to become a fashion designer. Still, it was the positive feedback from others and being featured on the cover of INK, that was the greatest validation. I have to admit, I kinda liked my little taste of fame.
Above: Andrea and I were interviewed for the article in INK, written about the fashion show.

Left: Jamie Brehm (jewelry designer) Middle: Me Right: Andrea Harms

No comments:

Post a Comment