Thursday, August 27, 2009

Life on Fashion Ave.

When I woke up this morning it was overcast, so I wasn't in the mood for bright colors and ample skin, I felt this number was more appropriate. I like the surprising way this picture turned out, I call it "Abstract Girlscout."


I am already taking advantage of the Fashion resources that drew me to New York in the first place. A couple days ago, Anna and I had the pleasure of going to the Isabel Toledo exhibition in the Museum at FIT. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Isabel is married to Ruben Toledo, the wonderful fashion illustrator that I recognize due to his extensive work for Nordstrom. Many of her designs were showcased, including the ensemble that Michelle Obama wore to the inauguration of her husband, Barack Obama. I was delighted to see R. Toledo's illustrations covering the walls, also. They are truly a marriage of art and fashion. Below is a photo of the exhibit and an illustration of Isabel Toledo by her husband, Ruben Toledo.

Photo from: ChicInParis

Illustration by: Ruben Toledo

Another resource that I am excited about is the famous Fashion Week held in Bryant Park and today I signed up to volunteer for the event! It will be incredible to be in the midst of amazing designers while being a part of the chaos, which becomes art and beauty on the runway. After that feat, I headed down Fashion Avenue to 39th street where I was ecstatic about the array of fabric, trim and sewing supply stores for blocks and blocks. Simply amazing what treasures this city holds and even more enchanting that I get to partake!


No comments:

Post a Comment